JUSTIN ARIEL BAILEY
2017 FULLER THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, Pasadena, CA
PhD in Theology | Mentors: William Dyrness and Richard Mouw
Dissertation passed with distinction:
“The Apologetics of Hope: Imagination and Witness in An Age of Authenticity with Special Consideration of the Writings of George MacDonald and Marilynne Robinson”
2013 TRINITY EVANGELICAL DIVINITY SCHOOL, Deerfield, IL
Master of Theology | Mentor: Kevin Vanhoozer
2007 Master of Divinity, Summa Cum Laude
2002 MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE, Chicago, IL
Bachelor of Arts in Applied Linguistics
- “Revelation Lite? Reimagining General Revelation for Inter-religious Dialogue,” in Another Religion? Neo-Calvinism and Islam: Conference Proceedings of the Fourth European Neo-Calvinism Conference. Eds. George Harinck and Cornelius van der Kooi. [Forthcoming]
- “The Ethics of Social and Entertainment Media,” in Micah Groups Pastoral Curriculum. Pasadena: Ogilvie Institute FTS, 2016.
- “Welcome to the Blogosphere,” in Everyday Theology. Eds. Kevin J. Vanhoozer, Charles Anderson and Michael Sleasman. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2007.
- “The Body in Cyberspace: Lanier, Merleau-Ponty, and the Norms of Embodiment” Christian Scholars Review 45, no. 3 (2016): 211-228.
***Awarded the Charles J. Miller award for most outstanding article in volume 45***
- “Beyond Brains on a Stick: Review of You Are What You Love by James K.A. Smith,” Sapientia. Henry Center for Theological Understanding. June 2016.
- “In Search of Stronger Spells.” Inheritance Magazine, Volume 53. Los Angeles, CA, 2017.
- “Braving the New World (Wide Web): Mapping Theological Approaches to Media” God and Nature Magazine. American Scientific Affiliation, Fall 2015.
- “The Gospel According to Goblin Market” in The Harper Anthology, Volume XXII. Palatine, IL: Harper College, 2010.
- “The Shock of Revelatory Perception: Marilynne Robinson as Imaginative Apologist.” Culture Care Conference. Pasadena, California. February 8, 2017.
- “Poetic Participation: Owen Barfield, Poetic Diction, and the Rediscovery Of Meaning.” Arts + The Inklings: 2016 Verge Conference at Trinity Western University. Langley, British Columbia. September 28-30, 2016.
- “Revelation Lite? Reimagining General Revelation for Inter-religious Dialogue.” Another Religion? Neo-Calvinism and Islam. Fourth European Neo-Calvinism Conference. Kampen, The Netherlands. August 25-26, 2016.
- “Can Non-Artists Be Imaginative, Too? George MacDonald, Imagination, and Virtue.” Brehm Center Colloquium. Pasadena: Fuller Seminary. May 20, 2015.
- “Discerning the Body in Cyberspace: Jaron Lanier, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and Contested Personhood.” Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion. San Diego, CA. November 22, 2014.
- “What Role Does the Body Play Online?” Brehm Center Colloquium. Pasadena: Fuller Seminary. April 4, 2014.
- “Gnadenstuhl: A Forgotten Resource for Substitutionary Atonement?” Creating Expressions of the Sacred: Seventh Annual Religions in Conversation Conference. Claremont Graduate University. February 21-22, 2014.
- “Have Ye Then No Hope? Tolkien on Doom, Death and Despair.” Celebrating the Hobbit: Valparaiso Conference on Tolkien and His Works, Valparaiso, Indiana. March 1-3, 2013.
Assistant Professor of Theology, Dordt College
- CORE-100 Kingdom, Identity, and Calling
- CORE-150 Biblical Foundations
- THEO-351 The Church in Cultural Context
Adjunct Instructor of Theology, Fuller Theological Seminary
- Christian Apologetics. Fall 2016.
Graduate Teaching Assistant/Lecturer, Fuller Theological Seminary
- Theories of Human Nature for Richard Mouw. Spring 2015.
- Christian Apologetics for William Dyrness. Winter 2015.
- Theology of Poverty and Development, for Bryant Myers. Spring 2014.
Other Academic Projects, Fuller Theological Seminary
- Academic Lecture: “Cultural Engagement,” for Evangelism, Justice and Emerging Generations, taught by Chap Clark. April 8, 2015.
- Academic Lecture: “The Ethics of Television, ” for Theology and Television, taught by Kutter Callaway. March 4, 2015.
- Academic Lecture: “Faith and Science,” for Christian Apologetics, taught by William Dyrness. February 17 and 19, 2015.
- Participant, Fuller Youth Institute Innovations Think Tank, 2015.
- Research Assistant, Theology and Culture Concentration, 2014.
- Cultural hermeneutics
- Imaginative apologetics
- Protestant aesthetics
- Theodramatic ethics
- Technology and Media
- Theological Anthropology
- Faith and Doubt
2014-2017 GRACE PASADENA | Pasadena, CA
Pastoral Assistant for Teaching and Discipleship – regular preaching, oversight of seminary intern program, oversight of discipleship programs and student ministry
2006-2013 ANTIOCH BIBLE CHURCH | Wheeling, IL
Pastor for English Ministry – weekly preaching, vision casting, spiritual formation, counseling, and leadership training
2002-2005 CHRIST OUR SAVIOR CHURCH | Chicago, IL
Youth Minister – regular preaching, oversight of youth ministry program
2014-2016 MADISON SQUARE INTENTIONAL COMMUNITY | Pasadena, CA
Community Coordinator – facilitation and care of Fuller Seminary’s intentional living community
2008-2013 JOSHUA GENERATION | Chicago, IL
Administrative Co-Director – writing material, facilitating counselor training, teaching, preaching, oversight of the youth worker track
2000, 2002 SIBERIAN MISSIONS | Kyzyl, Tuva (Russia)
Summer Missions Intern – learning Russian, assisting missionaries with church planting ministry
HONORS AND AWARDS
2013 Fuller Seminary CATS PhD program Fellowship
2012 Waybright Multicultural Development Scholarship
2012 Graduate Leadership Scholarship
2012 Trinity Evangelical Divinity School Dean’s Scholarship
2006 Trinity Evangelical Divinity School Dean’s Scholarship
2005 Kenneth and Ruth Kantzer Scholarship
American Academy of Religion
Evangelical Theological Society
SKILLS, HOBBIES AND INTERESTS
I consider myself a strong communicator and travel to speak several times per year. I am a huge fan of fitness and ran a free “home gym” out of my garage with over 20 members for several years. I play the guitar and attempt the piano. I love traveling, camping, hiking and backpacking.