Professor / Theologian / Pastor
Assistant Professor of Theology
I work at the intersection of Christian theology, culture, and ministry. Having served as a pastor in a number of diverse settings, my work as a professor explores the ways that culture shapes the practice of Christian faith, as well as the ways that the Christian imagination shapes believers to participate in culture. My research seeks to bridge gaps between church and academy, exploring the formational spaces where they overlap. As a theology professor at Dordt, I resonate deeply with Dordt’s task and calling to provide an academically rigorous and culturally engaged education, shaped deeply by the Reformed theological vision.
Fuller Theological Seminary
PhD in Theology, 2017
Concentration: Theology and Culture
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Master of Theology, 2013
Master of Divinity, Summa Cum Laude, 2007
Moody Bible Institute
Bachelor of Arts in Applied Linguistics, 2002
Assistant Professor of Theology
Dordt University, 2017-Present
Adjunct Instructor of Theology
Fuller Theological Seminary, 2016
- “The Theodramatic Imagination.” International Journal of Public Theology: 12 (2018), 455–470
- “The Body in Cyberspace: Lanier, Merleau-Ponty, and the Norms of Embodiment” Christian Scholars Review 45, no. 3 (2016): 211-228. ***Awarded the Charles J. Miller award for most outstanding article in volume 45***
- “Belief in a Disenchanted World: A Review of George MacDonald in the Age of Miracles by Timothy Larsen.” In All Things. Andreas Center for Reformed Scholarship and Service. November 2018.
- “Bearing Witness in a TLDR World: A Review of Disruptive Witness by Alan Noble.” In All Things. Andreas Center for Reformed Scholarship and Service. July 2018.
- “Surviving the Secular Apocalypse: A ‘How-To’ Book for the End of the World.” Review of How to Survive the Apocalypse by Robert Joustra and Alissa Wilkinson. In All Things. Andreas Center for Reformed Scholarship and Service. January 2018.
- “The Lost World of the Israelite Conquest (Book Review),” Pro Rege: Vol. 46: No. 3,38–40.
- “Beyond Brains on a Stick: Review of You Are What You Love by James K.A. Smith,” Sapientia. Henry Center for Theological Understanding. June 2016.
- “In Search of Stronger Spells.” Inheritance Magazine, Volume 53. Los Angeles, CA, 2017.
- “Braving the New World (Wide Web): Mapping Theological Approaches to Media” God and Nature Magazine. American Scientific Affiliation, Fall 2015.
- “The Apologetics of Hope: Reimagining Apologetics in Secular Societies.” Neo-Calvinism and Europe: Fifth European Conference on Neo-Calvinism. Leuven, Belgium. August 29-31, 2018.
- “The Shock of Revelatory Perception: Marilynne Robinson as Imaginative Apologist.” Culture Care Conference. Pasadena, California. February 8, 2017.
- “Poetic Participation: Owen Barfield, Poetic Diction, and the Rediscovery Of Meaning.” Arts + The Inklings: 2016 Verge Conference at Trinity Western University. Langley, British Columbia. September 28-30, 2016.
- “Revelation Lite? Reimagining General Revelation for Inter-religious Dialogue.” Another Religion? Neo-Calvinism and Islam: Fourth European Neo-Calvinism Conference. Kampen, The Netherlands. August 25-26, 2016.
- “Can Non-Artists Be Imaginative, Too? George MacDonald, Imagination, and Virtue.” Brehm Center Colloquium. Pasadena: Fuller Seminary. May 20, 2015.
- “Discerning the Body in Cyberspace: Jaron Lanier, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and Contested Personhood.” Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion. San Diego, CA. November 22, 2014.
- “What Role Does the Body Play Online?” Brehm Center Colloquium. Pasadena: Fuller Seminary. April 4, 2014.
- “Gnadenstuhl: A Forgotten Resource for Substitutionary Atonement?” Creating Expressions of the Sacred: Seventh Annual Religions in Conversation Conference. Claremont Graduate University. February 21-22, 2014.
- “Have Ye Then No Hope? Tolkien on Doom, Death and Despair.” Celebrating the Hobbit: Valparaiso Conference on Tolkien and His Works, Valparaiso, Indiana. March 1-3, 2013.
Recent Courses Taught
- Kingdom, Identity, and Calling
- Biblical Foundations
- Biblical Study Methods
- New Testament Letters
- Teaching the Bible
- Spiritual Formation
- Gospel, Church, and Culture
- Theology and Popular Culture
- Leadership and Discipleship
- Aesthetics: Beauty, Desire, and Imagination
Assistant Pastor for Teaching and Discipleship
Grace Pasadena, 2013-2017
Madison Square Intentional Community, 2014-2016
Joshua Generation, 2008-2013
Youth Pastor/Pastor for English Speaking Ministries
Antioch Bible Church, 2006-2013
Christ Our Savior Church, 2002-2005
Summer Missions Intern
Siberian Missions, 2000, 2002
- American Academy of Religion
- Evangelical Theological Society