Professor / Writer / Pastor
Associate Professor of Theology
Justin Ariel Bailey is associate professor and chair of the theology department at Dordt University. He works at the intersection of theology, culture, and ministry, and his written work has appeared in publications such as Christianity Today, Christian Scholars Review, and the International Journal of Public Theology. He is the author of Reimagining Apologetics (IVP, 2020) and Interpreting Your World (Baker, 2022). He is an ordained minister in the Christian Reformed Church, and he has served as a pastor in Filipino-American, Korean-American, and Anglo-American settings.
Fuller Theological Seminary
PhD in Theology, 2017
Concentration: Theology and Culture
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Master of Theology, 2013
Master of Divinity, Summa Cum Laude, 2007
Moody Bible Institute
Bachelor of Arts in Applied Linguistics, 2002
Associate Professor of Theology
Dordt University, 2021-Present
Assistant Professor of Theology
Dordt University, 2017-2021
Adjunct Instructor of Theology
Fuller Theological Seminary, 2016
- Interpreting Your World: Five Lenses for Engaging Theology and Culture. Grand Rapids, Baker Academic, 2022. [forthcoming]
- Reimagining Apologetics: The Beauty of Faith in a Secular Age. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2020.
- “The Impact of Social Media” in Hak Joon Lee and Timothy A. Dearborn, eds. Discerning Ethics: Diverse Responses to Divisive Issues. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2020.
- “Welcome to the Blogosphere,” in Everyday Theology: How to Read Cultural Texts and Interpret Trends.
Eds. Kevin J. Vanhoozer, Charles Anderson, & Michael Sleasman. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2007.
- “The Mercy Seat: An Artistic Grammar for Substitutionary Atonement.” Co-authored with David Westfall. Spiritus, Fall 2023. [article accepted, publication forthcoming]
- “The Theodramatic Imagination.” International Journal of Public Theology: 12 (2018), 455–470
- “The Body in Cyberspace: Lanier, Merleau-Ponty, and the Norms of Embodiment” Christian Scholars Review 45, no. 3 (2016): 211-228. ***Awarded the Charles J. Miller award for most outstanding article in volume 45***
- Articles, reviews, and podcast episodes for In All Things (50+)
- “Doubt Be Not Proud.” Christianity Today. August 17, 2022.
- “When Our Best Words Fail.” Fare Forward. March 31, 2021.
- “Apologetics Can Flourish After RZIM. But Only With ‘Lowercase Leaders’ and the Local Church.” Christianity Today. March 15, 2021
- “Is Our World Less Religious Than Ever?” The Banner. February 22, 2021.
- “On Insiders and Outsiders.” The Banner. February 15, 2021.
- “Deep Focus and Cinematic Faith: An Extended Review.” Christian Scholars Review 49, no. 3 (2020): 301-309.
- “Exercising the Imagination: Why We Need Imaginative Apologetics.” The Worldview Bulletin. November 27, 2020.
- “Defense and Discernment: Bearing Witness in Suspicious Times.” Reformed Journal. June 18, 2020.
- “The Wisdom of Weakness: The Coronavirus and the Cross” Pro Rege: Vol. 49: No. 1, 2 – 5.
- “Pagans, Puritans, and Putting Christ Back in Christmas.” The Banner. Grand Rapids, MI. December 2, 2019.
- “In Search of Stronger Spells.” Inheritance Magazine, Volume 53. Los Angeles, CA, 2017.
- “Braving the New World (Wide Web): Mapping Theological Approaches to Media” God and Nature Magazine. American Scientific Affiliation, Fall 2015.
- “Beauty and Belief: The Apologetics of Culture Care.” Society for Classical Learning Summer Conference. Dallas, TX. June 15-18, 2022. (plenary address)
- “Interpreting, Fast and Slow: Faith, Love, and Hope for Christian Education.” CACE Engage Conference. Washington, D.C. October 27-28, 2021. (plenary address)
- “Vitality, Virality, and Vulnerability: Christianity and Culture as Ecosystems of Meaning.” Areopagus Forum at Iowa State University. Ames, IA. November 7, 2021.
- “The Apologetics of Hope: Reimagining Apologetics in Secular Societies.” Neo-Calvinism and Europe: Fifth European Conference on Neo-Calvinism. Leuven, Belgium. August 29-31, 2018.
- “The Shock of Revelatory Perception: Marilynne Robinson as Imaginative Apologist.” Culture Care Conference. Pasadena, California. February 8, 2017.
- “Poetic Participation: Owen Barfield, Poetic Diction, and the Rediscovery Of Meaning.” Arts + The Inklings: 2016 Verge Conference at Trinity Western University. Langley, British Columbia. September 28-30, 2016.
- “Revelation Lite? Reimagining General Revelation for Inter-religious Dialogue.” Another Religion? Neo-Calvinism and Islam: Fourth European Neo-Calvinism Conference. Kampen, The Netherlands. August 25-26, 2016.
- “Can Non-Artists Be Imaginative, Too? George MacDonald, Imagination, and Virtue.” Brehm Center Colloquium. Pasadena: Fuller Seminary. May 20, 2015.
- “Discerning the Body in Cyberspace: Jaron Lanier, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, and Contested Personhood.” Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion. San Diego, CA. November 22, 2014.
- “What Role Does the Body Play Online?” Brehm Center Colloquium. Pasadena: Fuller Seminary. April 4, 2014.
- “Gnadenstuhl: A Forgotten Resource for Substitutionary Atonement?” Creating Expressions of the Sacred: Seventh Annual Religions in Conversation Conference. Claremont Graduate University. February 21-22, 2014.
- “Have Ye Then No Hope? Tolkien on Doom, Death and Despair.” Celebrating the Hobbit: Valparaiso Conference on Tolkien and His Works, Valparaiso, Indiana. March 1-3, 2013.
Recent Courses Taught
- Kingdom, Identity, and Calling
- Biblical Foundations
- Biblical Study Methods
- New Testament Letters
- Teaching the Bible
- Spiritual Formation
- Gospel, Church, and Culture
- Leadership and Discipleship
- Christian Ethics
- Christianity and Popular Culture
- Aesthetics: Beauty, Imagination, and the Arts
Pulpit Supply/Interim Preacher
Classis Iakota, 2017-2022
Assistant Pastor for Teaching and Discipleship
Grace Pasadena, 2013-2017
Madison Square Intentional Community, 2014-2016
Youth Pastor/Pastor for English Speaking Ministries
Antioch Bible Church, 2006-2013
Christ Our Savior Church, 2002-2005
Summer Missions Intern
Siberian Missions, 2000, 2002
- Board Member, Center for Public Justice. 2022-present
- Fellow, Center for Pastoral Theologians, St. Anselm’s Fellowship. 2021-present
- “Restoring Human Nature,” TheoPsych Research Colloquium Grant, Blueprint 1543. 2020
- Host, In All Things podcast: https://inallthings.org/podcast/. 2021-present.
- Editorial Board, In All Things (online journal for the Andreas Center for Scholarship and Service) 2018-present. (https://inallthings.org)
- Core Program Committee, Dordt University. 2021-present
- Research and Scholarship Council, Dordt University. 2018-2021.
- Adjunct Instructor of Theology, Fuller Seminary. 2016-2017.
- Research and Teaching Assistant/Lecturer, Fuller Theological Seminary. 2013-2017.